News & Events
Please be aware: Due to the university-wide holiday closure, all Dalhousie Bookstore locations will be closed beginning at noon on Friday, Dec. 22 and remain closed until 9am on Tuesday, Jan. 2. During this time, we will be unable to process any online orders.
Online orders must be completed by Dec. 20 to allow for processing. Any orders completed during the closure will not be processed until we re-open on Jan. 3.
We thank our customers for their continued support and wish everyone a safe and happy holiday!
Our New Website
We’ve improved our website to serve you better. Our new website offers:
- Improved product search: Search on either books or general merchandise. A new permanent Cart icon allows you to easily see the items you’ve selected no matter where you are on the website.
- MyBooklist: This new time-saving feature allows students to instantly generate a list of textbooks for their program just by entering their NetID and password.
- Responsive design: Whether you’re visiting the site from a laptop, mobile phone or tablet, the layout will adjust automatically to ensure smooth and easy-to-use functionality.
- Greater selection: We’ve expanded our online catalogue to offer even more great items for both current and past students.
- Fresh and bold new design: The look and feel was given a complete overhaul with the aim of making the site easier to navigate and providing a more satisfying online shopping experience.
We’re committed to providing a secure and simple online shopping experience. And we’re just getting started! Let us know what you think of our new website by completing this quick survey.
Dal Author: David McNeil
IN THE PRESSURE OF THE MOMENT
Remembering Gerry McNeil
Gerry McNeil was the number one goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens hockey team from 1950 to 1954 and won two Stanley Cups with the club. This book discusses his career, wedged as it was, between two Hall of Famers – Bill Durnan and Jacques Plante. From his entry into hockey as a teenager to his incredible performance of over 218 minutes of shut out play against the Detroit Red Wings, Gerry McNeil’s is the story of an extraordinary Canadian.
As readers follow McNeil’s journey from understudy to mainstay with the Habs, including four consecutive appearances in the Stanley Cup final, they’re also reminded of how different the game was for fans and players then. This book will appeal to any fan of the NHL’s “Original Six Golden Era” with its look back at a time when hockey was considered “pure” and only captured “in the moment” before technology gave us endless “instant replays”. Imagine - only a radio broadcast, a newspaper story and a few
professional photographs. Fans came to see Richard battle Howe. Fans saw the overtime Leaf goal by Barilko on McNeil. Fans knew the name of every player because there were only six teams and trades were rare. This is a slice in time from the “Original Six” era when players travelled by train and fans wore suits and dresses.
The Montreal Habs have one of the strongest fan bases in the NHL and any book related to the Habs is considered to have a built in audience that spans the country. Written by a son who lived the achievements of the Habs through his father’s first-hand accounts, David McNeil’s book offers an insider’s view of what it was like to play with The Rocket, Elmer Lach, Dickie Moore and against many legendary players of the 50’s such as Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay.
David McNeil is the son of Gerry McNeil. Like his father, David was born in Quebec City and now lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia where he is a Professor of English at Dalhousie University. He teaches among other topics Sports Literature and Culture: Hockey. He is the author of published articles on hockey literature and hockey in general.
Pressure of the Moment is available at the SUB Bookstore for $24.95 +tax while quantities last.
Get your copy today!
Paper Hearts Halifax
Owner & Designer, Stefanie MacDonald started this business out of the need for a more diverse and inclusive sentiment when shopping for a card for her Aunt and her Aunt's wife. She couldn't find exactly what she was looking for in a card, so she made them the Let's Grow Old Together card featuring an illustration of two little old ladies, which was well recieved by her Aunt and new wife...and many others since!
Paper Hearts now has over 30 designs for all kinds of connections and relationships and not to mention, a growing list of 19+ retail partners that the Dal Bookstore will soon join!
Stop by and check out this selection of cards on Oct. 1. You're sure to find just the right message.
- Stefanie MacDonald is a graduate of Dalhousie Management
- Paper Hearts products are printed FSC, SFI & Rainforest Alliance certified paper